The garage is the place we usually store things that we don’t like to have in the home such as old paint cans, gasoline cannisters, gardening equipment, car parts and cleaning items. Its also the area we work on the gardening equipment and car etc. Yes, its clear that this is one of the most important areas to take fire safety measures.
Here are some fire safety precautions to take for your garage:
- Its important that the garage is fitted with carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and that the batteries are checked regularly.
- Store any flammable items correctly and make sure they are well labeled.
- Take a look at the door connecting the garage to the house and make sure there are no broken seals or gaps which would allow toxic fumes to enter the home.
- When working in the garage, keep the garage door open and make sure any garbage or oily rags and containers are not left lying on the floor. Clean up any oil spills etc.
- Last but not least, have the garage inspected by a certified home inspector. This is an important step in making sure the garage is in good working order as the home inspector will be able to point out any unsafe areas.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions regarding garage inspections.